Friday, September 4, 2009

Hello From Beijing!

We landed in Beijing at 1:30am US time. Chris never slept, once.  Jim and I dozed on and off but it was hard to sleep.  They had TONs of movies, tv shows and video games in each seat back to keep us occupied.  I couldn't concentrate, and only really watched one movie from beginning to end... it wasn't even that good!
We met 2 other families that are adopting and one I had chatted with on RQ.  Emilysmom, in the blog. She remembered me. They were really nice and I have contact info for them when we are in GZ together.
When we met our guide Helen, she told us that Forbidden City and Tiennemen Square would be closed on Saturday (today) and if we would like we had time to see it "quickly" if we wanted to go right then.  So we decided to go right from the airport to our first Beijing tour...
It was interesting, and we got to say we were there but frankly we were tired and it was the 'quick' tour!  The Forbidden City was beautiful and the history is astounding.  The moment we walked through the gate at Tienemen Square and turned around to see the all so familier giant picture of Mao, I knew I was in China,  it was real... we are here!
By the time we got back to the hotel Chris was dead and we were all hungry.  We decided to take a short nap and then find some dinner.  It was really hard to get up once we layed down... I felt really bad for Chris.  We did find a very good restaurant close to the hotel and had a FEAST for $25.  We didn't even finish it all.  Dumplings, steamed buns, sweet and sour chicken, a pork and taro root dish, pumpkin cakes and Jim had his hot and sour soup
When we got back to the hotel, Chris and I CRASHED  I don't even know what time it was but all we wanted to do was sleep!
I woke up at 3:30 and couldn't get back to sleep.. so here I am!  So far everything is going well and we love our guide.  She is very sweet and full of information about China. Our hotel is beautiful and the beds were fine.  Nice and firm but not hard.
Today we see the Great Wall, local Jade, Peiking Duck dinner and a Kung Fu show!  THEN we can sleep one more time.... before we go to Changsha and maybe get Hope on Sunday!
Love from Beijing,


Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

Follow along as our family tree blooms, blossoms and grows! www.waitingforhope.blogspot.com

13 comments:

k1 said...

Ni hao! Glad you made it there without incident. Have fun at the Wall and the other places.

Looking forward to your introduction to Hope.

The Hartley's said...

Hi! We're so glad you made it to China! Can't wait to see picture's. OK, go to SLEEEEEEEP!

Luna said...

WHOO-HOO, you're IN CHINA!!! I just got done telling Jeff that while we're sleeping, you will be touring the Great Wall!!! Enjoy every second....It goes by way too fast!!

Our Journey To Eden said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! Sounds like you are having a blast already!!!!!!! Thanks so much for posting!!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you guys are there and it sounds like you are having fun already! I will be thinking of you!!
Regina

Mrs. U said...

WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! I am glad that y'all made it safe and sound!!! Dead tired, I know, but safe none-the-less!!!!!

I'm glad that you can get your blog to work!! Some friends of mine IRL were in China in early June and the only thing they could get to work was email!! Apparently China had blocked blogs, facebooks, etc. Weird.

What airline did y'all fly? Gracious, we flew China Southern and it was AWFUL!!! All movies were in Mandarin so we could only watch the map!!!! BOY did that make time crawl by!!!!

I am praying for y'all!!

His,
Shari
(Mrs. U)

to sing and to dance said...

Great to see you made it to China. We'll be watching for the big day.

Judy said...

I have goosebumps reading your blog, and I'm so excited for you all. I'm praying for you guys, have a great day.

Carol said...

Oh I can so relate to being DEAD!! lol...we were SO TIRED........I could NOT sleep on that plane!!! and it does not fly fast enough!!!! LOL.....can't wait for Sunday!!

Julianne said...

We have tears in our eyes and full hearts for all of you. JP wants you to tell Chris he is tinking about him and trying to figure out what you are doing at any given moment. He also says get the skpye up! Enjoy and savor every moment. I think with the time change you will be meeting your precious Hope in 12 hours or so from now. God is good! Love you

Anonymous said...

Irwins!!!! I have had you in my prayers. Oh I feel like crying I'm so happy for you. I don't know where that came from it just washed over me as I started to write. Be safe and love to you all.
Janis

Truly Blessed said...

So glad you made it and got to see the FC and TS -- important landmarks for sure.

Enjoy every single minute, take LOTS of pictures and video -- as much as you can. You'll still be amazed, when all is said and done, at all of the things you DIDN'T document!

Jay and Emily said...

So exciting to read your updates! We are thinking of you and praying for safe travel and a wonderful time. We can't wait to see sweet Hope. Thanks for the update!!