Friday, December 28, 2007

New Year's Resolutions


I just love the idea of New Years Resolutions... I really would love it if we 'revisited' the idea, maybe each month!! I can't even remember what I resolved to do last year! I know in the past, I would resolve to lose weight or cook healthier meals or sign up for some enrichment classes of some kind. This year however, I am going to make it simple...

1. Lose 20 lbs.
That's less than 2 lbs a month, I lost 10 last year and kept it off. (fluke) I think I will try 20 this year and maybe 20 next... Baby steps for something that seems to be so hard for me!

2. Sunday Dinner & Devotions
During Advent we started a new family tradition of "Christmas Around the World". I have an Advent wreath that I use as my table centerpiece all through the Christmas season. Each Sunday in Advent I planned and prepared a meal from another country, except for one, they were each from countries that either Jim or I have heritage. This was a way to teach Chris about where his ancestors come from and share family stories. I also planned a small devotion in line with the meaning of the Advent candle to be lit each week. While dinner was in the oven, we would sit at our table, Chris got to light the candles and we would spend time in devotion and prayer. We enjoyed this so much we want to continue it throughout the year.

3. Get a job
NO WAY!!! Well you all know me... not a real one. For me, my family is where I want to spend my time but Chris is going to start private school in the fall. I would love to contribute enough to cover his tuition. So I am going to start quilting small quilts. I have an idea for personalized baby quilts and puppy beds! (more on this later!) I also have a short term day care job coming in a few weeks for a neighbor!!

4. Have Faith by giving up Hope..
Well, I'm not giving up hope exactly. Hope is here. Meaning that God has given me hope and blessings in abundance. I refrain from bragging, but I think I'm the luckiest girl in the world. I have enough. I wanted us to have a daughter, I wanted Chris to have a sibling... God had other plans...

However, He did place this burden in my heart. A deep desire to have more children, even after all I've endured and a deep compassion for the welfare of children in need. I believe He has given me the job to help at least one child, not for us, but for that child. I will not rest completely until I have fulfilled that purpose. I'm not sure if it's to adopt or to just do what I can to make a change in the system in our country. I'm hoping it will be both. But I can't continue to live my life expecting to travel to China, but I have to have faith that God has a plan and hopefully I will be quiet enough to hear what it is...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful resolutions, I have emailed you. Have a WONDERFUL New Year!!!

redmaryjanes said...

I like your resolutions. Now, what happened with the Michigan women getting together?

Lynn said...

RMJ- you guys go ahead... I'm protecting my heart...

k1 said...

hugs to you Lynn.

hi to Chris

Lynn said...

Thanks K1!!!

k1 said...

Happy New Year!