Danny's Bagels
Throughout this amazingly long ride I have read blog after blog living vicariously though everyone's Chinese adoption adventures. Besides of course The Wall, Gotcha moments and Hotel stays, "Where to eat" is always widely discussed. So far in Guangzhou we have eaten at Lucy's for American food, the White Swan Deli for inexpensive sandwiches, the Cow and Bridge for Thai food and of course the White Swan has a huge breakfast buffet. I have to say that after over a week of mainly Chinese food or simple American fare I was ready for something else. Shari (Mrs. U.) from "Making a House a Home" sent me an e-mail telling me that when they adopted Elizabeth they ordered from Danny's Bagel almost every night. She even sent me their web site: http://www.dannysbagel.com/ So Sunday afternoon we took a cab into Guangzhou and not only had best meal but had the best company! This Italian girl felt all the tension fall from my body the minute I inhaled the aroma... You know that smell, fresh bread, olive oil and tomato ragu that has been simmering all day! This was China's Little Italy!! Our new friend Danny greeted us at the table. We knew of course he must be Danny since he spoke with a beautiful Jersey accent! This kind, friendly man spoke to us for hours sharing his story and listening to ours. We learned all about Guangzhou and what his life has been like living in China for the last 15 years. The food was amazing! I had the Stracci Marscapone, Chris had pizza and Jim had Chicken Parmesan. We all shared an appetizer of Bruschetta and a slice of cheesecake! I highly recommend it all!! I even had an iced latte and didn't need to worry about the ice!! I know we are here to absorb all we can of this amazing country, but if you are a little homesick? Danny's Bagel might just be the answer for you! Just tell 'em Hope's Mama sent ya! Thanks Danny for giving us a little bit of "home" away from home! P.S. Double check the web-site for hours of operation and directions. They close mid-day like all Chinese restaurants here in China and are located on the 4th floor of the Home Garden Mall! |


6 comments:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooo happy that y'all got to eat there!!!! Didn't you just take one bite and think "HOME!!!!!" I thanked the Lord for that place daily!!! I needed reminders of home and was SOOO happy for Danny's!! I can't believe you got to meet him, though!! WOW! He's a superstar in my book! If y'all go back, PLEASE tell him that thousands of adoptive parents' sanity is saved through his food!!!!
Oh, and did he say why they don't deliver to the White Swan anymore????
His,
Shari
I never tired of the food on either of our two journies, but I would have loved to talk with Danny and hear his story!
Sounds like you had an amazing time and for that I'm really happy for you.
Can't believe your journey is nearly at an end....hope you've enjoyed it as much as our family did (both times!).
Lynn I just caught up on EVERYTHING! Hope is adorable, I could just squeeze her and all of you look so happy and that makes my heart smile!
Love and blessings, Kristy
It's about time for you to be heading home if I remember your itinerary correctly.
so,
WELCOME HOME!!!
Now "THAT'S ITALIAN"! Glad to hear you had some good "Chow"!
Oh Lynn, it has been so wonderful to see you all together and get caught up on your journey...and what a journey it has been!
Your Hope is soooo beautiful, and looking at her sweet face (and awesome hair) really TAKES ME BACK!
Love you and can't wait to see you all when you return.
XOXO
Post a Comment