Wednesday, September 12, 2007

More On Ivy

I got a couple questions about the latest AG doll so I thought I would post on them today and expound on my passion for these dolls!

Truly Blessed said...
Is Ivy a different Asian doll than the one AG has had for a few years? I don't know if the older one has ever had a name, but I'm glad that this new one does, and has a story to go along with it.

Truly Blessed - Ivy looks the same as the Asian "Just Like Me" doll but with shorter hair. There is an Asian "Just Like Me" doll that has current day dress, you can name her yourself. AG offers about 20 or so different skin, eye and hair colors for this doll. The Historical dolls are all named and come with books and dress for their time period. Ivy is the first historical AG doll, she looks very much like the JLM doll with the exception of shorted hair.

AG offers hundreds of outfits in all the historical periods including current day. All outfits fit on any doll you purchase, with the exception of Bitty Baby, which is their second line of dolls and clothing geared toward Preschoolers. So if a girl already has an AG doll she could purchase the New Year Outfit separately! Don't need more than one doll to enjoy all the outfits and accessories; historical or current day!

The fact that AG has come out with an Asian American Historical Doll, is significant in that she is an actual character. She has a story. There will eventually be a movie. She has come to life. The only negative I find here is that they made her the friend of Julie the "70's Historical Doll not the main doll for the period.

redmaryjanes said...
She's beautiful! I know that they are pretty expensive...how can I get it past the hubs???

Well... I have to say I am enamored with the concept of this company, the doll quality and the educational aspect of them, not to mention the marketing genius behind these dolls! I was a real doll lover as a girl, so 15 years ago when a catalog showed up at my home I was hooked. It would be 10 years, many of them filled with infertility and yearning for a daughter before I would buy one for myself, but I did save that catalog and poured over it from time to time saying that when I had a daughter I would be buying one for her.

The price tag can be daunting at $87 for a doll with a paperback book or $102 for one with a hardback, but after the initial cost of the doll, the outfits range from $20-$32, with most of them falling in the $26 range. As a seamstress and a doll lover the outfits absolutely intrigue me. The quality is stellar. The designs and variety are not to be found anywhere else. They always include more than a dress or top and pants. They are a complete outfit with matching shoes and accessories.

I always tell people, once you get over the initial sticker shock of the doll purchase then the outfits can be purchased in the future for gifts or special occasions. I know one little girl that saves her allowance and buys her own outfits!!

As far as getting it past your hubby... I don't recommend 'sneaking' I'm all for 'convincing'. When I was purchasing "Ivy's New Year Outfit" last night on line my hubby came in. I made a joke saying. "Oh, don't come in yet, I'm making an on line purchase!" When I told him what it was he said, "Oh! When you're done don't log off I want to see it!"

Convincing, brainwashing... call it what you want, he sees it as something I NEED, just like he NEEDS new cycling stuff.

5 comments:

Ava's family said...

You sent me off on the link to the American Girl store and I totally forgot to comment on your blog! Ivy and her New Year's outfit should be here is 4-5 business days! Shopping ALWAYS makes me feel better....

Lynn said...

L&J - I wonder what percentage of your purchase AG will give for consignment.

redmaryjanes said...

I think that I will get it at Christmas time. It will be our gift for her even though she isn't with us yet.

Truly Blessed said...

Heh. I had to laugh at the "I need___________ like he needs_____________."
comment. How true, how true!

Ivy and the JLM Asian girls are cute, but I like the bitty baby better. Maybe for Christmas NEXT year (like 2008).

Lynn said...

TB... let's just say I bought a $24 doll dress, he bought a new racing bike... I wan't EVEN tell you how much!