White Swan Closing for Renovations
I don't know why but this is just another disappointment in this long wait. I've been following other adoptions for over a year now and was looking forward to staying at the White Swan. The water fall, the Red Couch, the play room. It just seemed that it would be a haven for us, a safe magical place for us to get to know our daughter.
Excerpt see full story below:
Beginning in December of this year, the White Swan Hotel will be closed for
10 months for renovation. RMB 530 million is to be invested. The White Swan
renovation project has been approved by the provincial government. According to
the preliminary plan, every two or three rooms will be merged into one room.
Therefore, after the renewal, the number of rooms will be fewer than the present
843.
http://www.newsgd.com/travel/travelnews/200704160016.htm (see link for full story)

8 comments:
I had been planning on staying at The Victory because I heard the suites were better (and LOTS cheaper) for a family of 6 (including Ava). My plan was to head over to the White Swan for the red couch photo and play in the play room....Wasn't sure how I was going to nab a barbie doll, but I was going to try. This is truly sad.
l&j-
I know a lot of people are saying things like, "Who cares where you stay it's about getting your daugher" or "I don't care where I stay I'll bring a tent..."
Well, we've given up several vacations to save for our trip, camping is something our family does regularly...
I was looking forward to to being pampered at a nice hotel! Call me shallow but for now it feels like telling your kid he's going to Disney and then changing it to the State Fair!
So sad : (
You know, the rooms weren't tiny to begin with (they weren't huge, either) but they will be huge if they put two or three rooms together to make one.
That, coupled with the rumor about converting the block over to government bldgs, makes me think the WS is seperating itself from the adoptive family market.
I'm sad for you. It's always hard to see a dream fade.
Thanks TB!!!
Sometimes you just want someone to say - "I'm sad for you!"
Not... "It will be fine in the end!"
Because I KNOW, I will be fine in the end... that's a given... it's the sadness that takes me by surprise!
Lynn,
I'm so sorry you are feeling so sad about this. From what I have read, families LOVE The Victory too. I've seen pictures and looks like it is a VERY nice hotel. It just doesn't have all the traditions that The White Swan has and that stinks....BIG TIME! I REALLY wanted the pictures on the red couch and that REALLY hurts that it isn't going to happen. I'm also guilty of saying that I'd sleep in a tent, because I already knew I wasn't staying at The Swan anyway...And what I have heard about the beds in China, it's like sleeping on the ground anyway! ;)
On the bright side....At least we are thinking this timeframe of the renovations will uffect us! A few weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought so! Did I cheer you up any? Or do you want to pop me in the chops for my tent comment? ;)
L&J-
Oh Gosh! I would NEVER be mad at you! Actually it wasn't until later that I noticed you were one of those 'tent' people!!
And you didn't say it like I should be 'ashamed' for caring!
If we end up in China together... I'll bring 'room service' to your tent!
:)
Lynn,
I didn't think you knew that I was one of the tent people, but I thought I best come clean! =)
There is NO WAY you should be ashamed at wanting to stay at The White Swan!! It has become a tradition for families adopting from China. Of course, you would want to be a part of that!
I think that all the camping gear is going to put us over the weight limit, so I think you will find us at The Victory. If it wasn't for the weight limit (cough), you know I'd be bringing the tent. =)
L&J
I think you could pick up a tent cheap at Wal-Mart in Guangzhou!!
Post a Comment