Kate's Baptism
Like a wedding, this day in the life of my daughter, was highly anticipated. Many years ago, it was during a baptism I sat in our church feeling immeasurable grief as I was nearing my last months of infertility treatment. It was on this day, I prayed. I made a promise, that if I were to ever be blessed with a daughter, I would baptise her there and name her Hope. That I would share my faith and my story.
Here we are, still waiting for our Hope, yet I now know that God's plan was even greater than I could ever have allowed myself to ask for. In my long wait for another child, God was planning that we be open to adopt not one, but two little girls. I have no doubt that Hope is still coming and it is because of her that we are now blessed with Kate. A miracle. A blessing in disguise. Double Happiness! I am overwhelmed by and unworthy of His goodness.
In late July we found that Jim's mother was going to be able to visit and see her first grand-daughter for the first time! We were so excited we scrambled to see if we could baptize Kate while she was here. It was such a blessing to have both of Kate's grandma's there for her Christening!
It was a dream come true to design and make her gown, with my mother. Just as we spent weeks planning and sewing the nursery bedding and drapes now we were going to create specifically for Kate. We took the children to Royal Oak for lunch and shopped at the famous Habermann's Fabric store. We selected a beautiful cotton silk and an exquisite organza embroidered with ribbon rose sprays and a beautiful lace trim. I spent the next 2 weeks making a mock up out of muslin until I had the perfect fit, then finally cutting into the gorgeous fabric and putting together the most breathtaking gown I had ever seen. (If I do say so myself!) It was truly a joy to have my mother with me every stitch, to help keep Kate happy and for her expert guidance, just as she has guided me not only in my sewing since I was a little girl, but in all aspects of my life. A dream come true.
Once the dress and bonnet were made, I went to work on designing her cake, (yes I made that too) planning the menu and decorations. We even got to choose the music for the service. Yet, the most important part of the day was officially promising to raise her as a believer, a follower of Christ. To publicly show that she is ours, yet that she is truly God's child.
It was also an incredibly easy and sweet decision to ask Chris to be her Godfather. We know he will set such a Godly example to his sister and he was very proud and eager to accept the honor.
It was a wonderful day, full of joy, family and love. My heart is singing!
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life... Proverbs 13:12




5 comments:
You have a beautiful family. Congratulations! Stellar job on the cake and dress, mom. They were gorgeous!
What a beautiful day Lynn, everything is just gorgeous! You did beautiful work on that lovely gown...I love the organza overlay, so pretty! Congratulations on that special day. Oh and the pictures of her laying up are just spectacular, what a happy girl! God Bless Kate!
OH MY GOSH!!! Where have I been. How blessed you are. Kate is absolutely beautiful, gorgeous, breathtaking, stunning, etc. etc. etc.!!! She is a treasure and what a beautiful story she will have one day of how her mom and grandmother made her christening gown, which I might add is just beautiful.
Congratulations I am just elated for you and your family. God bless you always.
Love and blessings, Kristy
What a gorgeous day/daughter/dress -- everything was gorgeous!
I love the photo of Chris holding his little sister -- man, does he look happy!
What an incredible seamstress you are, I'm very impressed!
Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. Congrats.
Beth, BiBi, & Maxine
www.thechinaexpedition.blogspot.com
Post a Comment